029: Are You Stretching Correctly?Mar 29, 2018
Make sure you stretch so you don’t get hurt! Sometimes there is sage wisdom that can stand the test of time. Other times, it’s just a training method that has been passed down for years without anyone actually questioning the point. As real life runners, we are often pressed for time when working out. We hate wasting time with any activity that does not have an actual benefit on performance.
In this episode we discuss the myths of stretching, the three main components that actually lead to flexibility and mobility, and how to deal with tightness in the body. We cover why most of what we do for stretching, while not a negative, does not serve the purpose we think it does. Most importantly, we cover what should be done as a replacement for the generic static stretching that many people have been doing for years.
In this episode you will learn:
- The difference between flexibility and mobility
- What 3 main things limit the motion at any given joint
- What you are actually doing when you stretch
- How long you should be stretching
- The most effective ways to stretch a muscle or tissue
- How stretching affects the body's perception of tightness
- How to effectively use self-mobilization to free up tight spots in the body
Thanks for Listening!!
To help out the show:
If you have a topic you would like us to talk about, please send us an email at [email protected]
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play
Interested in Training plans and Coaching? Check that out here!
Check out our new members-only area with a HUGE video library of strengthening, stretching, foam rolling, and mobility exercises, our guide on choosing the right running shoe, and more!! Check that out here.