086: What is a Multi-System workout and how can it benefit me?
May 02, 2019
Who among us is not a little crunched for time and struggling to get in the most optimal workout or workouts each week. Add in a long run, formwork, strength, proper nutrition, not to mention getting enough sleep and it can all get a little overwhelming.
On this episode we talk about how to get the biggest bang for your workout buck, or in other words, how you can optimize your running time. The idea is what we like to refer to as multi-system workouts.
- Start fast and move to steady
- Warmup, start fast - do one mile at 1 mile to 2 mile race pace, short/incomplete recovery (about half the time it took you to run that mile), then move into a medium distance tempo run for 10-20 minutes (at 1 hour race pace), cool down
- Cut Down Workout
- Pick any interval- I like quarters- and keep dropping the pace every set
- 4x4x400 with pace dropping from 10k to 5k to 3k to mile
- Increase recovery as the pace drops
- 400/800/1600/800/400 (meters)
- Increase (slow) the pace as the reps get longer and then speed it back up to close as they get shorter again
- Recovery should match the time it took you to just perform the last interval
- Speed work into a Long run
- Instead of a 15 mile long run, do a 10 mile run with 5 miles at easy pace, then 5 miles at tempo or goal half marathon pace
Remember, these workouts are intense, so allow yourself the proper recovery, and don't do these every week. Sprinkle them in for a nice change and challenge, and you will reap great benefits.
Hope you enjoy it!! Let us know if you have any questions that you would like answered on our show!
Thanks for Listening!!
Want to support the show? Check out our options here!
If you have a topic you would like us to talk about, please send us an email at [email protected] or [email protected]
Come find us on Facebook and Instagram and say hi!
Instagram page for the show @realliferunners
Click here to request to be added to our private Facebook tribe!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, iHeartRadio, or Google Podcasts
Check out our other episodes here
Don't forget: The information in this website and podcast is not intended to treat or diagnose any medical condition or to provide medical advice. It is intended for general education in the areas of health and wellness. All information contained in this site is intended to be educational in nature. Nothing should be considered medical advice for your specific situation.
*Note: Some links above are affiliate links and by purchasing through our link, we earn a small commission from your purchase that does not affect your purchase price. Thank you for supporting the show!
Click here to support the show!
We would love your support so that we can keep producing great content for you on our podcast!
Every dollar helps, and you can pledge as little as $1 a month to show your love and appreciation if you find value in what we do! Thank you so much!