020: The Negatives of a Training PlanJan 18, 2018
A few episodes ago, we talked about the benefits of a training plan, and there are a lot! However, today we look at the other side. Are there negatives of following a training plan, and if so, what are they?
Well, the first is that training plans don't always take into account our real life. Stuff happens. We are under a lot of stress, we get sick, kids get sick, family drama, lack of sleep - you name it. At any given time, there are tons of things that can derail our training.
As runners, we are so committed to our sport, that sometimes we forget that we are also human. Some days, our body can't do what our training plan tells us to do, and that's ok!!
There are also those times that we might need to take a rest day, even if we don't want to. Sometimes, with all we have going on in our lives, rest can be more important than one more run. No, really, we're serious! :)
In this episode we talk about:
- Some common things that can derail our training, like stress, sickness, or life events
- How stress affects us physically
- What to do when we miss part of our training schedule
- When to alter a training schedule
- How to alter a training plan to account for life getting in the way
- The importance of understanding your training plan, including the cycle that you are in and the point of each workout to allow you to make these changes
- Ways to tell if you are overtraining or need a rest day
- What to do if your body needs a rest day
- What this all means for our real life outside of running
We know that this is something that has happened to all of us, so we really hope you enjoy this one!
Thanks for Listening!!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play
Interested in Training plans and Coaching? Check that out here!
Check out our other episodes here
Check out our new members-only area with TONS of resources, including distance-specific training plans, non-distance based training plans, a HUGE video library of strengthening, stretching, foam rolling, and mobility exercises, our guide on choosing the right running shoe, and more!! Check that out here.
Don't forget: The information in this website is not intended to treat or diagnose any medical condition or to provide medical advice. It is intended for general education in the areas of health and wellness. All information contained in this site is intended to be educational in nature. Nothing should be considered medical advice for your specific situation.
Enter your email address to get weekly tips on how to become a physically and mentally stronger runner!
Don't worry, we won't blow up your inbox. We just want to send you some great info to help you in your running journey. We hate SPAM, and we will never sell your information, for any reason.