045: How to Prepare for a Marathon - Mind and BodyJul 19, 2018
The marathon is quite the beast of a race. Many runners set the marathon as a long term goal or the peak of their running achievement.
Others run a few every year while a rare few set out to run one in every state in the US or aim for global destinations. Regardless of where you may fall on the spectrum from first race to hundredth, one thing is clear, the marathon is not easy.
Running a marathon requires substantial physical preparation.
- Runners must increase the time they are able to spend on their feet and the length of run they can complete.
- They need to be able to learn how to fuel during a run.
- Training for a marathon should include practicing different types of fuel to see which option works best with your body.
- Runners also need to be able to deal with drinking while running.
- The physical preparation slides into the mental challenge as the training requires the ability to handle whatever happens on race day.
Mentally, the marathon can be intimidating.
- First timers must be prepared for something they have never done before.
- Training plans rarely take a new marathon runner past 20 miles, yet the race calls for 26. There are a variety of workouts that can help a runner mentally bridge this gap.
- Having faith in a training plan can give you confidence as can working with an invested coach.
- Training with a group, in person or online, can provide support and accountability.
Finally, Angie discusses the idea of showing gratitude for the goal while on the path to achieve the goal. This is a wonderful mental shift that helps overcome the fear before a race and the disappointment in results that may follow a race regardless of the result.
Remember that the marathon is a huge undertaking that needs appropriate training. This training should create a physically prepared runner who also has the confidence and mental fortitude to battle and overcome any obstacle that comes their way on or off the course.
Hope you enjoy it!! Let us know if you have any questions that you would like answered on our show!
Thanks for Listening!!
Do you love the show and want to help us to continue to produce great content for you? Please consider becoming a patron to support us and show your love and appreciation! Pledge as little as $1 per month, per episode, or any other amount you want!
Check out our all new premium membership program, where we create a new running and strengthening plan for you every month! It takes out all of the guesswork, giving you a 30 min and 45 min option for your running days, with time-based and effort-based workouts so that you can become a stronger runner, no matter where you are right now on your running journey! It also includes runner-specific strengthening, drills, mobility work, and HIIT workouts to keep you running strong and injury-free.
Come join us for the Key West Half Marathon on January 20, 2019! It is our first Real Life Runners destination race, and we would love to meet you in person! We currently have a discount code for our listeners, so if you are ready to register, use the code REALLIFE when checking out on Active.com for 15% off of your registration! Also, be sure to add yourselves to part of our team, Real Life Runners! Come and join us!
If you have a topic you would like us to talk about, please send us an email at [email protected]
Click here to request to be added to our private Facebook tribe!
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Interested in Custom training plans and Personalized Coaching? Check that out here!
Have you seen our members-only area with a HUGE video library of strengthening, stretching, foam rolling, and mobility exercises, and more!! Check that out here!