018: How Our Thoughts Can Harm Us or Help Us
Jan 05, 2018
The mental aspect of competition often takes a backseat to making sure that you have racked up the miles of preparation. In this episode, we cover one of the worst outcomes of any race...choking. We spend some time going into the nuances of another chapter out of Matt Fitzgerald's book How Bad Do You Want It? to dive into the details of what choking is and how to avoid this terrible race result.
This episode includes:
- Choking defined as a poor performance in response to the perceived stress of a situation
- The negative result comes from excessive internal focus which, in turn, reduces running efficiency
- When we aim for a goal, we often put a number out there as if that is the ultimate prize
- Learn what to focus on in order to reduce the stress of the goal
- The opposite of choking is known as flow - a state in which self-consciousness is reduced and performance is increased
- The term flow was originally coined by Mihaly Csikszentmihali as a state of complete immersion in a purposeful activity
- Three methods to try to move into a flow state - its not a matter of following steps, but self-talk can make flow more likely
- Several ways to change your thinking to improve your outlook on running and life itself
- What the key is to increasing your chance of reaching your goals
Thanks for Listening!!
To share your thoughts:
Share this show on Facebook or Instagram and leave your comments below the image for that episode.
To help out the show:
Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one!
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play
Right click here to download this episode directly to your computer
Check out our other episodes here
Check out our new members-only area with TONS of resources, including distance-specific training plans, non-distance based training plans, a HUGE video library of strengthening, stretching, foam rolling, and mobility exercises, our guide on choosing the right running shoe, and more!! Check that out here.
Don't forget: The information in this website is not intended to treat or diagnose any medical condition or to provide medical advice. It is intended for general education in the areas of health and wellness. All information contained in this site is intended to be educational in nature. Nothing should be considered medical advice for your specific situation.
Click here to support the show!
We would love your support so that we can keep producing great content for you on our podcast!
Every dollar helps, and you can pledge as little as $1 a month to show your love and appreciation if you find value in what we do! Thank you so much!